Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Community Garden Underway!

Yayyy! The garden is coming along quite nicely! My big project I choose for this internship was creating a community garden. It is located behind the church on land that is not currently being used. The idea is to involve both church members and the community, giving half of the garden plots to people in our church and the rest to people in the surrounding community. I am hoping to use the garden as a way to connect to others outside the church. I am sooo pumped!

A friend of ours, Region, is helping me construct it, lots of work. Today we leveled out the area we had staked out. I have not worked that hard since last summer. Region can't speak English and I can't speak Portuguese. haha fun times. Anyway so he was worried and I told him not to worry since last summer at my internship with Brickman, landscaping company, I was doing the same work and with a bunch of guys who could only speak spanish. I'm a pro by now. It has been very cool working with him so far. Also he picks me up and we go everywhere on his motorcycle. Love it!!

We are starting off with ten plots and then will expand later if it goes well. I am funding the project which means you are funding it too!! People are excited about it and very willing to help out however. We had a guy level out big piles of dirt for us and then donate the frame for the plots. Oh so that is neat. The frames for the plots are made out of the adobe tiles! I am working with a great team. Region who is incredibly crafty, and Denise is a agronomy major and as owned a plant shop in the past. She has lots of experience with plants of the area and organic gardening. She said I will have lettuce by the time I leave, we shall see!

No comments: